Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Unearthed Arcana: Traits, Flaws and other enhancements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Unearthed Arcana: Traits, Flaws and other enhancements Reply with quote

I was just browsing through the Unearthed Arcana, in particular the Character Building chapters, and was wondering if anyone has used these variants in any of their games before? If so, was it fun or problematic? I'm considering using them in the next game I run (whenever that is), but I would like to get some opinions before I do so.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which ones in particular are you curious about?
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly focusing on traits and flaws, as I think that they can add some flavor to a campaign. I'm curious as to if anyone has had any experience with using them in a campaign and/or if they had a variation of this sort of system that they liked better.

One of my favorite aspect of the Shadowrun system were how flaws and unique traits could be given to character during creation. Flaws would essentially grant you additional points to spend on your character, as everything about your character was purchased via build points. These flaws could be anything from having an addiction, to being unable to read; the more severe the flaw, the more points you got in return. Some flaws, such as addiction, could have variable levels of severity.

Traits, on the other hand, could grant nifty little bonus abilities such as being ambidextrous or having perfect memory. Of course, these cost points. The point being, I enjoy systems such as this and would like to use one in the next game I run.

I should also note that this would not be for a Naruto d20 game, but rather something such as D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that traits are generally not worth it, but players are always interested in getting flaws so they can get free feats.

If you are going to allow flaws, I would suggest only allowing a maximum of 2.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become well aware of how quickly flaws can make a character overpowered, especially if they want to specialize in one thing.
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering that some of these flaws are what people rp theeir characters as anyway, then yeah, there is a possibility for misuse.

(considering that I try to give a "flaw" to everyone of my characters, since nobody is perfect and it makes them more realistic
(Faran has split personalities, a mental inability to kill, and several other things, all of which got no feats for. (and he isn't my worst one).
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the flip side, there are ways to balance the feat gain. For example, you can make the flaw and the feat have to be somewhat related, or at least explainable.

For example, having a Ranger taking the Shaky Flaw (-2 to ranged attacks) and gaining Improved Initiative as the bonus feat. An explanation could be that, because he wasn't so good of a shot, he decided to focus on being a swift melee fighter, always being the first into battle.
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been in a game with them, but I've both played in and ran JadeClaw. That game pretty much runs itself off of "gifts" and "flaws", meant to give your character both a bit of flavour, and some useful abilities, but also gives you extra points for Skills. And when your attempting to play a Mage, with spells using the same point pool, you need those flaws.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... it might be a neat project to create a better traits/flaws system in such a way that traits grant additional abilities not normally granted by classes or feats such as being being ambidextrous and flaws give a particular negative, but maybe a sort of bonus elsewhere. It could even encompass things in a meta-game sense, such as a character being abnormally lucky/unlucky.

Finding a balance will be key, of course.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used traits and flaws, my GM quickly made me regret my choices

Pride

Summary: No matter the odds, you refuse to retreat from battle due to your overwhelming pride and honor.

Effect: A character will refuse to retreat from battle no matter what the odds. The character will always fight to the death and is always on the front line of battle, not at all afraid to get hit. If they are not on the front lines of battle (in game terms, directly threatening and being threatened by an enemy OR being the latest target of an attack by at least half the enemies, rounded up, in a combat), they take a -4 penalty to all rolls and AC.

In extreme conditions, the character can make a Will Save (DC of 25) to negate the flaw and flee from battle. However, the character feels guilty for disobeying their "code of conduct" and henceforth take -4 to all rolls until three days have passed. If the character is forced to flee via a spell or effect such as Fear, the penalty is lessened to -2 and it only lasts until the next day.

Benefit: Bonus Feat

Stubborn

Effect: When ever you go to attack some one or something and miss, your stubbornness forces you to do that same attack once more, despite how illogical the attack may have been the first time around. If you miss the second time, you must make a will save DC 10+ your effective character level or risk repeating the action again. This includes Spells, ranged attacks, psionic abilities, grapple checks and other combat maneuvers.
Benefit: Bonus Feat

Fun character, but the party hated me
Faran Kredo
Younin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking that if we were to create things like that, rather than giving out feats for flaws, give out traits instead (e.g. each flaw/ trait is worth a certain number of points and you must be at most at 0 points with any character). It could be an interesting project, I might create a few when I next get a large amount of spare time.
SirShadow
Biffu Aroi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those flaws severely debilitating compared to the flaws offered in the book. <_< I'd say both of those are worth something more like 2 feats each...
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShadow wrote:
Wow, those flaws severely debilitating compared to the flaws offered in the book. <_< I'd say both of those are worth something more like 2 feats each...

I totally agree, but on the plus side, that character didn't die in the course of the game, even though the party could've just abandoned me. Though they never let me hear the end of it both in character and out of character, even though they were laughing and joking around the whole time. At least i didn't pick the sister complex flaw.
chaoticangel97
Younin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
SirShadow wrote:

I totally agree, but on the plus side, that character didn't die in the course of the game, even though the party could've just abandoned me. Though they never let me hear the end of it both in character and out of character, even though they were laughing and joking around the whole time. At least i didn't pick the sister complex flaw.

You have piqued my interest lol. How does that one work?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheTrulyAvaricious
Bijuu/Tailed Beast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaoticangel97 wrote:

You have piqued my interest lol. How does that one work?

"You got a purty mouth......"
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like this http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Flaws

this is the direct link, but you'll have to copy/paste it because the link is weird and wont properly direct to the flaw due to the last part not wanting to be part of the link, weird.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sister_Complex_(3.5e_Flaw)

there are a few other flaws that are hilarious (one that has to do with a smaller than normal appendage that people tend to own big things to compensate for, which is hilarious.)

Last edited by Hito Hyuga on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read those. The one in particular you mentioned, Hito, is quite funny. On the bright side, you get... compensation.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
I've read those. The one in particular you mentioned, Hito, is quite funny. On the bright side, you get... compensation.

the interesting thing about the flaw is if you took it on a race with powerful build, wielding huge sized weapons, that's some heavy overcompensation.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
ZeronosVega wrote:

the interesting thing about the flaw is if you took it on a race with powerful build, wielding huge sized weapons, that's some heavy overcompensation.

Late response, I know.

A trend I noticed with a number of the homebrewed flaws is that they weren't well-thought out. While I understand that D&D is an expansive system and content doesn't always encompass everything in it, the "overcompensation" one is something that could be easily broken with little-to-no effort.
Hito Hyuga
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeronosVega wrote:
Hito Hyuga wrote:
ZeronosVega wrote:

Late response, I know.

A trend I noticed with a number of the homebrewed flaws is that they weren't well-thought out. While I understand that D&D is an expansive system and content doesn't always encompass everything in it, the "overcompensation" one is something that could be easily broken with little-to-no effort.

Yeah, some of them are over the top. Lately such things just seem more common.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hito Hyuga wrote:
ZeronosVega wrote:
Hito Hyuga wrote:
ZeronosVega wrote:

Late response, I know.

Yeah, some of them are over the top. Lately such things just seem more common.

What can I say? Generally speaking, people enjoy over-the-top characters or action. My first GM always enjoyed situations or characters which were over-the-top, as he found it more interesting. Of course, this often resulted in rules being thrown out the window, but the intention was at least to provide entertainment.

I did find a list of traits for the Pathfinder SRD, which seem a bit more interesting than the Unearthed Arcana set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: