Donate - narutod20 Store - Log in - Register - Profile - Log in, check your inbox - FAQ - Search - Members - Groups

New this week: Conjurer's Codex: Demon Clown at the Naruto d20 Store! Enjoy the book, everyone!

Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Reply with quote

I recently stumbled across a recently released Star Wars roleplaying game (the title of it being the subject of this thead) and was curious if anyone else was aware of its existence or if anyone has had a chance to play it.

From what I've gathered, it's a system which relies on a set of custom dice of which one is rolled for a specific mechanic. Needless to say, I've never played with such a system, but it seems simple enough.

On a more humorous note, this game is not relevant in a d20 General Discussion forum due to its lack of using a d20. But, I suppose here will do for now. Rolling Eyes

I'll provide a link to the game's official page here.
Naruto d20 Store
black_fox9653
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know of its existence, I have in fact purchased both the Beta rule book and the Beginner game, although I have not yet had the chance to run it.

In terms of mechanics, it slightly resembles White Wolf's Storyteller system, in that for everything you do you have a pool of dice and to succeed you need to end up with one or more success, which is represented buy one of the symbols on the dice. The main difference is that in a dice pool you also have dice that have Failure symbols, so that when a pool of dice is rolled, the Failures are subtracted from the successes, and as long as there is at lease one success at the end you succeed. There are also other symbols that do different things depending on the what the roll is for.

After reading through some of it, not quite finished reading everything yet, it seems like a pretty simply system that works quite effectively.

Another similarity with the Storyteller system is that characters don't level, they obtain experience that can be used to purchase new things or upgrade abilities and such on the character.

All in all I personally highly recommend taking a good long look at it.
ZeronosVega
The Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you have told me, it seems to resemble another dice-pool game called Shadowrun. Both games use a dice-pool (Shadowrun making use of d6's) and characters do not have levels, but instead a way to create and later upgrade their characters attributes or abilities.

I do wonder how well this new game stacks up with the Saga Edition role-playing game. While this new one still has at least two more supplemental books that have to be released, I'm merely asking from the standpoint of how well it can simulate the Star Wars universe.
black_fox9653
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, it does remind me of Shadowrun as well now that I think about it.

One major difference between it and the other Star Wars RPGs is that it is specifically focused at the Rebellion era, as opposed to being open to any era. And because of this there is little in the way of... I will say Jedi, because there is some force stuff, but there is no Jedi class or anything dedicated in the use of the force, because during that era there really isnt any.

It is also designed to be more cinematic gameplay than rules intensive, which I remember from some SAGA games that I played, that SAGA could be.

(Just to head off any fanboys, I am generalising for the sake of simplicity. I do not need or want any specific examples of Jedi from the Rebellion era)
Shun
Shinobigami

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sounds like a re-hash of West End Games d6 system to me without looking. But after looking at it it's just kinda strange...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Sengoku System
Me: the hizoku attacks you with his yari, your actions?

Max: I evade with a 13 and counter attack with a 1,000... *pause for silence*
Traenix
Special Jounin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shun wrote:
Just sounds like a re-hash of West End Games d6 system to me without looking. But after looking at it it's just kinda strange...

It's not.
The WEG SW RPG was by far the best one. (d20 is NOT suited for anything else than fantasy&co...)

The thing I dislike with The Edge of the Empire is that I love rules, I love numbers, and there are few in this game.
It's more "Let's tell a story about a Jedi" than "I am a jedi and I try to do [...]".

But I guess some people like this over simplification.
kakuro
ANBU Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the majority of the sourcebooks and from what I've seen, it feels like they're trying to infuse a firefly type of feel, when it comes to play style and such. I don't think I really care for the various themed failure dice, as it seems to make it specifically suited for face to face games rather than online gaming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Narutod20.com Forum Index -> RPG General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: